Monday 30 May 2011

Visvarupa-Darśana


·         Just see my hundreds of thousands of varied, multi-colored, shapes and forms.
·         See here the different manifestations of Adityas, Vasus, Rudras, Asvini-kumaras and all the other demigods. Behold the many wonderful things which no one has ever seen or heard of before.
·         See the complete universe in this one place, see now My body with cāra-acaram (movable and immovable beings). See whatever you wish to see.
·         But you cannot see Me with your present eyes. Therefore I give you divine eyes. See my Yoga-aiśvaram.
·         Arjuna saw in that universal form unlimited mouths, unlimited eyes, unlimited wonderful visions. The form was decorated with many celestial ornaments and bore many divine upraised weapons. He wore celestial garlands and garments, and many divine scents were smeared over His body. All was wondrous, brilliant, unlimited, all-expanding.
·         If hundreds of thousands of suns were to rise at once into the sky, their radiance might resemble the effulgence of the Supreme Person (mahātmanaḥ)
·         At that time Arjuna could see in the body of the Lord the universe situated in one place although divided into many.
·         Arjuna said – “I see assembled in Your body all the devas and various other living entities specifically assembled. I see Brahma as well as Lord Siva sitting on the lotus flower, and all the rshis and uragāms (divine serpents).
·         I see in Your body many, many arms, bellies, mouths and eyes, expanded everywhere, without limit. I see in You no end, no middle and no beginning.
·         You are without origin, middle or end. Your glory is unlimited. You have numberless arms, and the sun and moon are Your eyes. I see You with blazing fire coming forth from Your mouth, burning this entire universe by Your own radiance.
·         You alone spread from dyau (outer space) to the earth and all space in between, and in all directions. O great one, seeing this wondrous and terrible form, all the three lokas are perturbed.
·         All the Suras are surrendering before You and entering into You. Some of them, out of fear are offering prayers with folded hands. Hosts of Siddha Maharshis and perfected beings, crying "svasti" (All peace!) are praying to You by singing the hymns.
·         All the various manifestations of Lord Siva, the Adityas, the Vasus, the Sadhyas, the Visvedevas, the two Asvini-Kumaras, the Maruts, the Usma-Pah (forefathers), the Gandharvas, the Yaksas, the Asuras and the Siddhasare assembled and are beholding You in wonder.
·         Seeing Your great form, with its many faces, eyes, arms, thighs, legs, and bellies and Your many terrible teeth, the lokah as well as me are perturbed.
·         Seeing You with Your many radiant colors touching the sky, Your gaping mouths, and Your great glowing eyes, my mind is perturbed by fear. I can no longer maintain my steadiness or equilibrium of mind.
·         Thus seeing your faces and teeth, appearing as if the blazing fire of death, I am neither knowing nor getting any directions. Be pleased and grace me O Lord of devas, the refuge of the universe.
·         All the sons of Dhṛtarāṣṭra, along with their allied kings, and Bhīṣma, Droṇa, Karṇa — and our chief soldiers also — are rushing into Your fearful mouths. And some I see trapped with heads smashed between Your teeth.
·         As the many waves of the rivers flow into the ocean, so do all these great warriors enter blazing into Your mouths.
·         I see all people rushing full speed into Your mouths, as moths dash to destruction in a blazing fire.
·         I see You devouring all people and licking them from all sides with Your flaming mouths. Covering the entire universe with Your effulgence, You are manifest with terrible, scorching rays.
·         O Great Deva, so fierce of form; please tell me who You are. I offer my obeisance unto You; please be gracious to me. You are the original. I want to know about You, for I do not know what Your mission is.”
·         I am Kāla, the great destroyer of the worlds, and I have come here to destroy all people. Even without you (without your fighting), all the soldiers here on both sides will be slain.
·         Therefore get up. Prepare to fight and gain fame. Conquer your enemies and enjoy a flourishing kingdom. They are already put to death by My prior arrangement. Become just an instrument/cause (nimitta-mātram).
·         Drona, Bhiśma, Jayadratha, Karna and the other great warriors have already been destroyed by Me. Therefore, kill them and do not be disturbed. Simply fight and you will vanquish your enemies in battle.
·         The trembling Arjuna offered obeisance with folded hands again and again. He fearfully spoke to Lord Kṛṣṇa in a faltering voice, as follows. “O master of the senses, the world is rejoicing by Your glories, and is becoming attached to You. The Siddhas offer You their respectful homage by doing Namaskāra, while the Rāksasas are scared, and are fleeing in all directions.
·         You are vāyu, yamah, agni, varuna, sasānkah (Moon), Prajāpati (Brahmā), and Prapitamahas(father of Brahmā) also”
·         After seeing this universal form, which I have never seen before, I am gladdened, but at the same time my mind is disturbed with fear. Therefore please bestow Your grace upon me and reveal again Your deva form, O jagat-nivasa, O deva-isa.
·         I wish to see You in Your four-armed form, with crowned head and with club, wheel, conch and lotus flower in Your hands.”
·         Being pleased I have shown you this Supreme form, by My own Yoga potency, the universe full of effulgence. No one besides you has seen this unlimited original form previously.
·         No one before you has ever seen this universal form of Mine, for neither by study of Veda-Yajna, nor by charity, nor by pious activities, nor by austere penances can I be seen in this form in this Human-world.
·         Seeing such a dreadful form of Mine as this, do not be perturbed or perplexed; with a fearless and loving mind once again, see that (Vishnu) form of Mine.
·         Thus Vāsudeva, having spoken to Arjuna, displayed His four-armed form and at last showed His two-armed form, thus consoled the frightened Arjuna.
·         This form of Mine as you have seen is very difficult to behold. Even the demigods eternally aspire to see this form.
·         Neither by study of the Vedas, nor by austere penances, nor by charity, nor by worship, it is possible to see Me like this as you have seen.
·         But by un-deviated devotion, it is possible to know and to see me and enter into reality also.
·         He who engages in performing My Karma, considering Me as Supreme, is devoted to Me, free from attachment, has no enemy among all living beings, attains Me.